I’ve never been one for New Years resolutions, per se. I’ve always been one to really make my goals on the fly and adapt as I go. This year will be different though, as I embark on my 9 month journey as a single mom while Ryan is deployed. I feel like this year will be a real test of me – my merit, my toughness and my resolve, and I’m determined to impress myself, as well as my husband.
1. Make running (and fitness, in general) a priority. I received an entry into the 2017 Chicago Marathon, and I’m so excited! This means that I have some serious training to do, and I need to overcome my fear of running with my boys. A little backstory…when Spence was about 7 months old, I went on a 5-mile run with him, and he literally screamed the entire time. The looks I got and the guilt I felt was enough to convince me I couldn’t do it. Without Ryan around on weekends, I’m going to have to suck it up and do it. I’m thinking of investing in one of those double running shaded tent strollers so the boys can enjoy the long runs together. Thoughts?
2. Read more & watch less. I love my Netflix on a solo evening, but I think that it’s time to sharpen my mind again. I have such amazing books on my reading pile, and I think it’s time to start again. First up? Grace, Not Perfection by Emily Ley.
3. Lose the weight once and for all – and love myself. I am not massively overweight, but I am nowhere near where I want to be. I’m so looking forward to buckling down with training, losing these last 30 lbs, getting in real shape and loving myself again. A leaner, healthier, more productive life is my goal, and I can’t wait to share this with my boys.
4. Build Black River Boutique. I have so many goals and wants for my little shop, not the least of which is adding newer products, more range and a lot of functionality. I need to figure out how to budget and better manage my shop finances, too, so I’m looking to incorporate in the new year, as well. Has anyone done this? Tips or tricks?
5. DIY home projects. Before we rent out our house and we PCS, there are some pretty big home projects we’d like to tackle, and it will be falling to me to do them while Ryan is deployed. The biggest ones are converting the space above our basement stairs into a pantry, painting our cupboards in the kitchen white to better contrast the dark granite and cherry floors and adding a backsplash. I’m both looking forward to and dreading these tasks.
6. Blog more. My goal this year was to match or better my posts from last year. This post will make me one shy of 2015. Can I make it? We’ll see! I think I’ll have more time – and more incentive – to blog next year, as Ryan can read this blog as a journal of life through our time apart.
7. Get family pictures done. Le sigh. Seriously? We haven’t had real family pictures since our wedding day. We tried last year in Canada, but a screaming baby made it next to impossible. Maybe, just maybe we can get some pictures before we leave Fort Drum for good?!”
I think seven goals is enough, especially because those are some big goals. I think I’ll do my monthly goal-getter posts to keep myself on track, but I really think the overarching goals are important, too. Here’s to an amazing (albeit very different) 2017!