It’s no secret that the Army likes to move us around a lot, and we figured it was high time that we created our Fort Lewis bucket list. I’ve heard of military families and spouses doing these in the past, but I’d never really thought of creating one until we left Fort Drum. Regardless of whether you love your duty station or not, there are so many things that you can do if you’re willing to take advantage of the 3-4 years you have at any given station. When we did our last PCS, I instantly thought of all the things I *wish* we’d done in New York. I don’t want to leave Washington thinking the same things.
Obviously, we just recently moved here, so we have time – which is great. Even better though, we’ve already checked a few things off our bucket list, and we still have almost three years to really explore and get to know the Pacific Northwest. I think I’ll do a yearly or bi-yearly check-in here so we can really make sure we’re living it up here to the fullest.
For now though, here’s our bucket list to start:
- Visit (and/or hike) Mt. Rainier
- Go to Pike’s Place Fish Market in Seattle
- Have a coffee at the first Starbucks in Seattle
- Go crabbing with the boys
- Go fishing
- Do the Rock & Roll Half Marathon
Hike Sequalitchew Creek Trail Visit Deschutes Falls State Park Collect sand dollars at Tolmie State Park
- Drive up to Canada and explore
- Go to Debbie Doolittle’s Indoor Petting Zoo to see the capybaras
- Go to Ruby Beach in Forks
- Explore the Hoh Rainforest
Visit the Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
- Take the Polar Express train ride in Elbe, Washington
- Visit the Tacoma Glassblowing Studio
- Swim in Lake Washington
- Go to the Fort Steilacoom Park and the 22-acre off-leash dog park
- Cross the Lynn Creek Suspension Bridge near Vancouver
- Explore Paradise, Rainier
- Go cliff-jumping at Lake Cushman
- Visit the Hobbit House at Brothers Green Houses
- Go to the Seattle Cherry Blossom Festival
- Experience the Skagit Tulip Festival
- Cruise from Seattle to Alaska
- Take the boys to Pump it Up in Tacoma
I have a feeling I’ll be adding to this list as we experience more here, but I think this is a good place to start with our Fort Lewis bucket list. Honestly, there are so many things to do here. One of the biggest things I’ve learned as a military wife is that your time at any duty station is truly what you make of it. You might remember that I was initially pretty bummed about getting orders to JBLM. A lot of it is perception though, and I want my boys to see happiness and excitement all around them.
Obviously, we’ll throw a few more insane little things in there like moving again (yeah – we’re going to rent a new place next year), having a baby, an impending deployment, etc. However, I’m fairly certain this list will keep us busy and excited throughout our time here.
Have you ever been to the PNW? Is there anything I should add to this list? Do you ever make bucket lists prior to a move?